Talking to Your Healthcare Professional about Treatment
Before visiting your healthcare professional to discuss treatment options, it’s a good idea to prepare a list of questions so that you make the best use of your time during the appointment. Some questions to ask include:
- How much Hepatitis C virus do I have in my body?
- What is my genotype?
- Has the virus damaged my liver?
- With treatment, can I be cured of the Hepatitis C virus?
- What treatment options are available?
- What are the benefits and risks of each option?
- Do I have any conditions that affect my options?
- Which option do you think is best for me and why?
- How long will treatment last?
- What side effects will I have? Are the side effects different between the treatment options?
- Will my past medical history have any impact on how I will react to the different treatments (be prepared to tell your doctor of all the medical conditions that you have had or currently have, including any allergic reactions)?
- How will treatment affect my daily life?
- Will treatment affect my ability to work?
- What will the treatment cost and will my insurance cover it?
- What else can I do to keep healthy and minimize damage to my liver?
- What is the next step?
Download this list and take it to your doctor’s appointment.