Taking Action

Who Treats Hepatitis C?

If you think you are at risk of having Hepatitis C, talk to your current healthcare provider about getting tested.  Once you’ve been diagnosed with Hepatitis C infection, you may want to see a specialist.  Specialists who work with people with Hepatitis C include the following healthcare providers:

  • Doctors who specialize in liver diseases (hepatologist)
  • Doctors who specialize in stomach and intestinal diseases (gastroenterologist)
  • Doctors who specialize in infectious disease
  • Nurse practitioners whose practice concentrates on people with liver diseases

Nurse practitioners are registered nurses who are prepared – through advanced education and clinical training – to assume some of the duties formerly assumed only by physicians.  They work in a medical care team, and can provide a wide range of health care services, including the diagnosis and management of common, as well as complex medial conditions.