What if I need Financial Assistance to Pay for Treatment?
If you need help to pay for your prescription medications, you may be eligible for patient assistance programs. The following organizations provide programs that directly reduce the cost of prescription drugs or can assist you in finding programs for which you are eligible.
American Liver Foundation
The American Liver Foundation’s Financial Assistance Resource Support Guide is available for more information: Download
The American Liver Foundation’s Free Drug Discount Card can be used for prescription medications, over-the-counter medications and medical supplies. The card is available with no charge. For more information.
Pharmaceutical Patient Assistance Programs
There are pharmaceutical company sponsored prescription assistance programs for specific drugs used to treat Hepatitis C. The drugs are listed below by their brand name:
Sovaldi and Harvoni
Gilead Support Path
Janssen Patient Assistance
Pegasys and Copegus
Victrelis and PegIntron
(Offered through Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc)
Merck Access Program
- Ribasphere not covered
- RibaPak covered
- Enrollment contact info: ribapak.com or 877-377-7862
- Already enrolled inquiries: 800-364-4764
To apply for drug assistance programs you will likely be asked for the following information, so it’s helpful to have it handy before contacting these organizations:
- State of residence and zip code
- Estimated gross annual household income
- Number of people living in the household
- Brand name of the prescription medicines you have been prescribed
- Type of health insurance and/or prescription coverage, if any
- Name and contact information of your doctor who prescribed the medication
All information discussed with people staffing patient assistance help lines is strictly confidential.
Patient Access Network Foundation (866-316-7263) is a non-profit organization that provides assistance to under-insured people for their out-of-pocket expenses for life-saving medications. Visit them on the Web.
The Patient Advocate Foundation Co-Pay Relief Program (866-512-3861) provides direct financial assistance to insured patients who meet certain qualifications to help them pay for the prescriptions and/or treatments they need. Visit them on the Web.
NeedyMeds is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to help people who cannot afford medicine or health care costs.
NeedyMeds offers resources that are helpful to uninsured and underinsured patients:
- Patient assistance program database for patients to search for medications they are taking or need: http://www.needymeds.org/inclusions/pap.htm
- MRI/CAT scan discount program: http://www.needymeds.org/inclusions/imaging_discount_service_landing_page.htm
- Medication bill mediation: http://www.needymeds.org/inclusions/medical_mediation.htm
Eligibility depends on programs.
P.O. Box 219
Gloucester, MA 01931
The HealthWell Foundation is a nonprofit organization which reduces financial barriers to care for underinsured patients with chronic or life-threatening disease.
The HealthWell Foundation provides financial assistance to eligible individuals to cover coinsurance, copayments, health care premiums and deductibles for certain medications and therapies.
HealthWell bases eligibility on an individual’s medical, financial and insurance situation. Click here for further eligibility requirements.
Partnership for Prescription Assistance
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage to access the medicines they need.
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance has an online prescription assistance program finder.
Eligibility depends on the patient assistance program. Apply online here.
Partnership for Prescription Assistance
State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs
Many states offer subsidies to provide pharmaceutical coverage or a discount program for prescriptions to eligible individuals.
For information on what programs are provided in each state…
Eligibility requirements vary from state to state. For more details…
Contact information varies by state. For more details…
- RxAssist offers a comprehensive database of patient assistance programs, as well as news and practical tools. Visit them on the Web.
- RxOutreach is a mail order pharmacy for people with little to no health insurance coverage. Visit them on the Web.